Expressive Art and Design
The development of children’s artistic and cultural awareness supports their imagination and creativity. It is important that children have regular opportunities to engage with the arts, enabling them to explore and play with a wide range of media and materials. The quality and variety of what children see, hear and participate in is crucial for developing their understanding, self-expression, vocabulary and ability to communicate through the arts. The frequency, repetition and depth of their experiences are fundamental to their progress in interpreting and appreciating what they hear, respond to and observe.
At Woodcroft Expressive Art and Design is about:
- providing inspiring provocations and high quality creative experiences for children
- maintaining a balance between teaching skills and supporting children to experience, explore and experiment
- enabling access a range of materials and media including clay, paint, wood and music and dance
- ensuring our continuous provision enables children to access what they need to follow their ideas through
- promoting imaginative play as a means of enabling children to make sense of their world and for develop their own imagination and story telling
- offering experiences which broaden children’s exposure to their own and other cultures
- recognising that creativity is important in nurturing children's expressive and cognitive skills
- welcoming parents and visitors to enhance Expressive Arts experiences for our children.