Communication and Language
At Woodcroft Communication and Language is about:
- immersing our children in an environment where adults enjoy exploring language with children, through poems, oral storytelling and a wide variety of books.
- developing strong relationships so that children are confident to communicate their needs, thoughts and ideas.
- listening to children and responding with full attention and interest to children’s attempts to communicate at every level.
- using language to articulate thinking.
- remembering that children need time to formulate their thoughts and ideas and space to respond to adults and each other.
- encouraging children to engage with stories and incorporate stories into their play.
- empowering children to change stories, develop their ideas through stories, and to see themselves as story makers.
- extending vocabulary and exploring the meanings and sounds of new words.
- beginning to build children’s capacity to talk and think about language.